Prepare for your management of water and flood incidents course by reading this FAQ.
Q. How is the course organized?
This course is 5 days in length, with one day taking place on the river.
Q. How long does the management of water and flood course run each day?
The course runs 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily, with a break for lunch. An evening river session may also be included.
Q. Do I have to attend the whole course?
100% attendance is required to receive certification.
Q. Will I get a confirmation that the management of water and flood course is going ahead?
Approximately 7-10 days before the management of water and flood course, you will receive an email to confirm details such as classroom location, start time, the instructor’s name and contact information for any last minute issues.
Q. Is pre-reading required?
No pre-reading is needed.
Q. What do I need for the course?
- Be prepared for note-taking
While participation in the river session is not required, if you choose to go in the water you require a full set of swiftwater PPE. If you do not have your own, we can provide the following at no charge for course participants:
- Full wetsuit or drysuit
- Water-sports helmet
- PFD (lifejacket) – Type III or V
For those entering the water, there are a few additional items listed below that you must provide yourself:
For under the drysuit:
- Fleece, wool or poly-propylene pants and top (suit liners are super nice, if you have one)
- Wool socks (fleece or poly-propylene socks are fine too)
- Note: NO COTTON as it gets damp and cold very quickly.
Footwear such as:
- Old running shoes that are a bit big (so they fit over the drysuit). These work great!
- Neoprene boots (like one of these) with a good walking sole (neoprene socks are not adequate)
- Fisherman’s felt-soled wading boots
For after the river session:
- A full change of warm clothing
- A towel
- Appropriate outdoor gear if the weather is wet or cold.
Nice extras to bring?
- Neoprene gloves
- Sunscreen, hat and sunglasses
- Bug dope
Q. I’m getting equipment from Raven. When and where do I get it?
The instructor will provide rental gear to you before the river day. Charges will apply if equipment is lost or damaged. Please follow instructions for putting on and taking off gear.
Q. What kind of paperwork do I get?
Upon conclusion of the management of water and flood course, you will receive:
- A certificate of completion (digital)
- Personalized skill sheet – documenting the skills & knowledge you performed or observed
- Course text
Q. How long is my management of water and flood certification valid?
Certification is valid for three years from date of issue. We offer discounted rates for re-certification as long as your certification is still valid when you register.