Tower Competent Climber
Tower Competent Climber go beyond the Authorized Climber course by establishing an in-depth knowledge of the tower environment.
This knowledge will enable you to look at the task at hand and determine what type of fall protection system should be used. Participants in this course will be given the tools and techniques needed to climb safely in a tower environment, and will be required to take their knowledge a step further by demonstrating the ability to select and install a fall protection system appropriate for their work environment.
Participants in this course are trained to supervise Tower Authorized Climbers.
This course is consistent with the NATE Tower Climber Fall Protection Training Standard.
Tower Competent Climber Course Details
2 day (16 hours)
½ day classroom, 1 ½ days tower site
Minimum 6. Maximum 8.
- 18+ years of age
- A physical and mental aptitude for working at height
- Ability to perform moderately strenuous activities
- Tower climbing experience
Repeat the entire course at a 15% discount every three years
- Annual Training Maintenance
- Required Equipment
- Class III full-body climbing or rescue harness*
- Climbing or technical rescue helmet*
- 100% tie-off Y-lanyard
- Gloves with leather palms (ie. work gloves)
- Work boots, hiking boots, or appropriate footwear
- Long pants or coveralls
- Appropriate protective clothing for weather conditions
* Rentals included in course fee
- Takeaways & Documentation
- Ropes That Rescue Tower Rescue Manual
- Itemized, personalized skill sheet
- Certificate of completion
Tower Competent Climber Course Content
Classroom Session and Tower Session
- Legislation and regulations
- Tower safety and hazards
- RF Awareness
- Basic risk management
- Overview of standard equipment
- PPE and PFPS
- Options for fall restraint and protection
- Ladder climbing techniques and systems
- Vertical lifelines
- Pre-climb safety
- Climbing techniques
- Lead climbing techniques
- Controlled descent techniques
- Understanding the rescue plan
- Equipment inspection, care and maintenance
We only offer this as a private course
Our private training courses ensure personalized hands-on training through human-based scenariosPrivate Courses
If you have a group that would like to review their training together, the training maintenance program may be right for you.
Your group pays the instructor’s daily teaching fee and travel costs associated with bringing the instructor to your training location, along with an annual fee to be part of the maintenance program. This is generally a pretty reasonable approach for training departments because:
- it allows us to deliver the training in small chunks every year, rather than in one big chunk every three years
- it gives department members more annual hands-on time with their skills
- new members can integrate into maintenance programs by jumping on an open course from our public schedule
We track your members, and their status on course content completion within a three year cycle, which mirrors a traditional three year recertification cycle. It’s an excellent value for the cost, and allows you to review your skills in your own backyard.
The training maintenance program replaces the need to recertifiy your training on a traditional three year recertification cycle.
Sorry – there’s no individual audit program available for this course