Technical Rope Rescue Operator
Next available date
May 3, 2023 – Canmore (waitlist)
Upcoming Dates Show Hide
Technical Rope Rescue Operator provides a thorough introduction to technical rope rescue and covers the fundamental of low, steep and high angle rope rescue.
Our hands-on approach makes it easy to learn (and remember!) the knots, bends and hitches and their application in simple rope systems. These skills have endless applications including accessing and moving personnel, equipment and casualties.
This course meets and exceeds NFPA 1006 and 2500 Technical Rope Operations requirements.
5 days of practical, hands-on learning
Minimum 10. Maximum 12.
- 18+ years of age
- In good physical condition
Repeat the entire course at a 15% discount every three years
- Annual Training Maintenance
Click here to read about the options available for annual guided practice
- Required Equipment
- Class III full-body harness* or separate chest and sit harnesses
- Climbing helmet*
- Sturdy boots (hiking boots are fine)
- Pants made of durable material
- Gloves with leather palms (work gloves are fine)
*Rental included in course fee
- Takeaways & Documentation
- Rope field guide
- One 10 metre piece of cord
- Personalized skill sheet (training record) signed by the instructor (valuable document for risk management)
- Registration of training record in Rescue 3’s international database
- Certificate of Completion
- Rescue 3 ID Card
TRR Operator Course Content
- Legislation and standards
- Rescuer safety
- General hazards
- Size-up, pre-planning and ICS
- On-scene safety briefing and site control
- Communications and verbal commands
- Medical considerations
- Personal and team equipment
- Equipment care and maintenance
- System safety checks
- Introduction to ropes, knots and technical gear
- Low angle rescue techniques
- Road side rescue operations
- Steep angle rescue techniques
- Anchor system
- Placing rope protection
- Use of work restraint and fall arrest equipment
- Lead climbing with lanyards
- Ascending and descending
- Climbing over a 90 degree edge
- Individual pick-offs
- Connecting a casualty on a line using a telescopic pole
- Lifting and lowering a casualty using a pre-installed device
- Tensioning system and basic mechanical advantage
- Team based pick-off
- Litter attending low angle
- Twin Tension raising and lowering systems
- Introduction to litter attending high angle
- Use of high directionals
- Tagline offsets
We also offer this as a private course
Our private training courses ensure personalized hands-on training through human-based scenariosPrivate Courses
If you have a group that would like to review their training together, the training maintenance program may be right for you.
Your group pays the instructor’s daily teaching fee and travel costs associated with bringing the instructor to your training location, along with an annual fee to be part of the maintenance program. This is generally a pretty reasonable approach for training departments because:
- it allows us to deliver the training in small chunks every year, rather than in one big chunk every three years
- it gives department members more annual hands-on time with their skills
- new members can integrate into maintenance programs by jumping on an open course from our public schedule
We track your members, and their status on course content completion within a three year cycle, which mirrors a traditional three year recertification cycle. It’s an excellent value for the cost, and allows you to review your skills in your own backyard.
The training maintenance program replaces the need to recertifiy your training on a traditional three year recertification cycle.
This is an option to audit, or participate in a course for which you already hold a current certification – at no charge.
Take a look at our upcoming course schedule online and find a course location and time that works for you. Email or call us to sign up as an audit. Show up and take the course for free. It’s that simple.
Free audits do not extend your certification period in any way, but this is a great way to re-fresh your skills on a regular basis, in a safe, controlled environment with a qualified, insured instructor.