Swiftwater Rescue Technician Advanced – Water
Expand previous Swiftwater Rescue Technician training into the demanding realm of extreme whitewater, and night operations with Swiftwater Rescue Technician Advanced – Water training.
This course focusses on advanced rescue swimming and non-motorized boat handling skills required for “go” rescues in Class III+ swiftwater, and operating in low visibility or darkness.
If your operations take you into canyon environments where high-angle rope rescue techniques are required, consider Swiftwater Rescue Technician Advaned – Water & Rope.
Swiftwater Rescue Technician Advanced – Water Course Details
3 days (24 hours, which includes one night session)
1 day classroom, 2 days on the river (including a night exercise)
Minimum 10. Maximum 12.
- Current SRT1 certification
- 18+ years of age
- In good physical condition
- Strong swimming ability in Class II-III water
Repeat the entire course at a 15% discount every three years
- Annual Training Maintenance
- Required Equipment
- Drysuit or wetsuit*
- Personal flotation device (Type III or V)*
- Water sports helmet*
- Class III harness* (or separate chest and sit harness)
- Neoprene gloves
- Neoprene footwear with good walking soles, wading boots, or running shoes
- Flashlight or headlamp
- 3-4 cyalume “light sticks”
- Layers of wool or fleece clothing for under the drysuit/wetsuit, including sweater, pants and socks
* Rental equipment available
- Takeaways & Documentation
- Personalized skill sheet signed by the instructor
- Registration of training record in Rescue 3’s international database
- Certificate of completion
- Rescue 3 ID card
SRTA – Water Course Outline
- Size-up, pre-planning and Incident Management
- Advanced hydrology: Class III+
- Search techniques
- Flood management
- Boat introduction: types, applications, limitations
- Basic and advanced equipment
- Low head dam and aqueduct consideration
- Go rescues, live bait, tethered swims etc.
- Knots, anchors and mechanical advantage review
- Anchor systems
- Compound mechanical advantage
- Advanced swimming: Class III+
- Basic paddle boat handling: Class III+
- Rescue board
- Night session – low visibility operations including lighting techniques, rescuer safety, communications, skill practice and containment strategies
- Non Motorized Boat rescue techniques
- Non motorized boat flips and right
- Swiftwater Search Management
- Swiftwater Rescue Team Leadership skills
- Advanced Containment Techniques (Rescue Curtains)
- Patient packaging and transport in swiftwater environments
We also offer this as a private course
Our private training courses ensure personalized hands-on training through human-based scenariosPrivate Courses
If you have a group that would like to review their training together, the training maintenance program may be right for you.
Your group pays the instructor’s daily teaching fee and travel costs associated with bringing the instructor to your training location, along with an annual fee to be part of the maintenance program. This is generally a pretty reasonable approach for training departments because:
- it allows us to deliver the training in small chunks every year, rather than in one big chunk every three years
- it gives department members more annual hands-on time with their skills
- new members can integrate into maintenance programs by jumping on an open course from our public schedule
We track your members, and their status on course content completion within a three year cycle, which mirrors a traditional three year recertification cycle. It’s an excellent value for the cost, and allows you to review your skills in your own backyard.
The training maintenance program replaces the need to recertifiy your training on a traditional three year recertification cycle.
This is an option to audit, or participate in a course for which you already hold a current certification – at no charge.
Take a look at our upcoming course schedule online and find a course location and time that works for you. Email or call us to sign up as an audit. Show up and take the course. It’s that simple.
Free audits do not extend your certification period in any way, but this is a great way to re-fresh your skills on a regular basis, in a safe, controlled environment with a qualified, insured instructor.