Swiftwater Rescue Technician Advanced – Water & Rope
No public dates available
Consider a private booking
Expand previous Swiftwater Rescue Technician training into the demanding realm of extreme whitewater, canyon environments, and night operations with Swiftwater Rescue Technician Advanced – Water & Rope.
This course focusses on advanced rescue swimming and non-motorized boat handling skills required for “go” rescues in Class III+ swiftwater, as well as high angle rope rescue skills in difficult-to-access areas like canyons and gorges, and operating in low visibility or darkness. It is demanding and fast-paced.
Highly-recommended for emergency responders who respond to swiftwater callouts in areas that are difficult to access, and after the sun has gone down.
Consider Swiftwater Rescue Technician Advanced – Water training if your advanced whitewater environment does not include canyon topography.
Note: This course meets and exceeds NFPA 2500 and 1006 Swiftwater requirements.
Swifwater Rescue Technician Advanced – Water & Rope Course Details
3 days (24 hours, which includes one night session)
1 day classroom, 2 days on the river (including a night exercise)
Minimum 10. Maximum 12.
Repeat the entire course at a 15% discount every three years
Note: To be an eligible SRTA recertification candidate, you must maintain a current TRR Operator certification
- Annual Training Maintenance
- Required Equipment
- Drysuit or wetsuit*
- Personal flotation device (Type III or V)*
- Water-sports helmet*
- Class III harness* (or separate chest and sit harnesses)
- Neoprene gloves
- Neoprene footwear with a good walking sole, wading boots, or running shoes
- Flashlight or headlamp
- 3-4 cyalume “light sticks”
- Layers of wool or fleece clothing for under the drysuit/wetsuit including sweater, pants and socks
* Rental equipment available.
- Takeaways & Documentation
- Personalized skill sheet signed by the Instructor
- Registration of training record in Rescue 3’s international database
- Wallet card with personal Rescue 3 registration number
- Certificate of completion
- Rescue 3 ID Card
SRTA Water & Rope Course Outline
Classroom Session (Note: there may be some time on the river on Day 1)
- Size-up, pre-planning and Incident Management
- Advanced hydrology: Class III+
- Search techniques
- Flood management
- Boat introduction: types, applications, limitations
- Basic and advanced equipment
- Low head dam and aqueduct considerations
- Go rescues, live bait, tethered swims etc.
- Knots, anchors and mechanical advantage review
- Belay systems, muenter hitch, tandem triple prusiks, eight plates etc.
- Anchor systems
- Compound mechanical advantage
- Advanced swimming: Class III+
- Basic paddle boat handling: Class III+
- Rescue boards
Night search logistics, communications and operations
- Line crossing techniques, messenger lines etc.
- High line rope systems, mid point drop
- Mid-point drop with boat on a tether: Class III+
- Boat wraps and pins
We also offer this as a private course
Our private training courses ensure personalized hands-on training through human-based scenariosPrivate Courses
If you have a group that would like to review their training together, the training maintenance program may be right for you.
Your group pays the instructor’s daily teaching fee and travel costs associated with bringing the instructor to your training location, along with an annual fee to be part of the maintenance program. This is generally a pretty reasonable approach for training departments because:
- it allows us to deliver the training in small chunks every year, rather than in one big chunk every three years
- it gives department members more annual hands-on time with their skills
- new members can integrate into maintenance programs by jumping on an open course from our public schedule
We track your members, and their status on course content completion within a three year cycle, which mirrors a traditional three year recertification cycle. It’s an excellent value for the cost, and allows you to review your skills in your own backyard.
The training maintenance program replaces the need to recertifiy your training on a traditional three year recertification cycle.
Sorry – there’s no individual audit program available for this course.