This 4-hour Swiftwater Awareness classroom session provides an introduction to responding safely to callouts around swiftwater.
It prepares emergency responders to work in the “cold zone” (more than 10’ from moving water), therefore is most appropriate for those who supervise or assist those trained to the Operations or Technician level.
Swiftwater Awareness Course Details
Classroom only – no water component
Minimum 10. Maximum 15.
18+ years of age
Repeat the entire course at a 15% discount every three years
- Annual Training Maintenance
- Required Equipment
Swiftwater Awareness Course Outline
- Rescue 3 philosophy
- WCB, legal responsibility and due diligence
- Training levels linked to job requirements
- Identification of moving water dynamics and hazards
- Personal safety equipment
- Self rescue
- On-river communications
- Low to high risk options for the rescue of others
- Documentation and record-keeping
We only offer this as a private course
Our private training courses ensure personalized hands-on training through human-based scenariosPrivate Courses
If you have a group that would like to review their training together, the training maintenance program may be right for you.
Your group pays the instructor’s daily teaching fee and travel costs associated with bringing the instructor to your training location, along with an annual fee to be part of the maintenance program. This is generally a pretty reasonable approach for training departments because:
- it allows us to deliver the training in small chunks every year, rather than in one big chunk every three years
- it gives department members more annual hands-on time with their skills
- new members can integrate into maintenance programs by jumping on an open course from our public schedule
We track your members, and their status on course content completion within a three year cycle, which mirrors a traditional three year recertification cycle. It’s an excellent value for the cost, and allows you to review your skills in your own backyard.
The training maintenance program replaces the need to recertifiy your training on a traditional three year recertification cycle.
Sorry – there’s no individual audit program available for this course.