Safe Work In Swiftwater
No public dates available
Consider a private booking
This 2-day Safe Work In Swiftwater course provides the knowledge and techniques for employees who need to work in or near swift water.
It focuses on assessing risk and pre-planning to prevent incidents from happening and covers use of appropriate PPE and provides simple and safe techniques for accessing sites. Techniques for self rescue and rescue of co-workers are also addressed.
Students will be provided with strategies to address working in small teams with minimal equipment.
Take this course if you…:
- …work in or around up to Class II water. Those working in Class III or above should consider Swiftwater Rescue Technician Level 1 training.
- …are primarily in the field to work, not to rescue. If you’re a first responder by trade, you should consider Swiftwater Rescue Technician Level 1 training.
Safe Work In Swiftwater Course Details
2 days (16 hours)
.5 day classroom, 1.5 days on the river
Minimum 10. Maximum 12.
- 18+ years of age
- Basic swimming ability
- In good physical condition
Repeat the entire course at a 15% discount every three years
- Annual Training Maintenance
Click here to read about the options available for annual guided practice
- Required Equipment
- Drysuit or wetsuit*
- Personal flotation device (Type III or V)*
- Water-sports helmet*
- Neoprene gloves (optional)
- Neoprene footwear with a good walking sole or running shoes
- Layers of wool or fleece clothing for under the drysuit/wetsuit including shirt, pants, socks
* Rental equipment available.
- Takeaways & Documentation
- Water Rescue Field Guide
- Personalized skill sheet signed by the instructor
- Registration of training record in Rescue 3’s international database
- Certificate of completion
- Rescue 3 ID Card
Safe Work In Swiftwater Course Outline
- Rescue 3’s philosophy
- Swiftwater dynamics
- Personal equipment
- Risk management
- Site Safety Assessments
- Pre-planning for working near water
- Drowning and medical conditions related to swiftwater
- Introduction to ropes, knots and gear
- Communication in a River Environment
- Throw bagging
- Shallow water crossings
- Equipment crossing
- Rivers edge fall restraint systems
- Swimming skills
- Hazard avoidance
- Swiftwater rescue scenario
- Rescue Plans
- Entrapment Awareness and Rescue Techniques
- Use of Swiftwater Quick Release Harnesses
- Self rescue Techniques
We only offer this as a private course
Our private training courses ensure personalized hands-on training through human-based scenariosPrivate Courses
If you have a group that would like to review their training together, the training maintenance program may be right for you.
Your group pays the instructor’s daily teaching fee and travel costs associated with bringing the instructor to your training location, along with an annual fee to be part of the maintenance program. This is generally a pretty reasonable approach for training departments because:
- it allows us to deliver the training in small chunks every year, rather than in one big chunk every three years
- it gives department members more annual hands-on time with their skills
- new members can integrate into maintenance programs by jumping on an open course from our public schedule
We track your members, and their status on course content completion within a three year cycle, which mirrors a traditional three year recertification cycle. It’s an excellent value for the cost, and allows you to review your skills in your own backyard.
The training maintenance program replaces the need to recertifiy your training on a traditional three year recertification cycle.
Sorry – there’s no individual audit program available for this course.