Road Side Rescue
Road Side Rescue covers the fundamental low and steep angle rope rescue skills required for accessing a vehicle and its occupants down a roadside embankment.
The curriculum is very similar to our Technical Rope Rescue – Operator, but specifically focuses on bank-over vehicle rescue situations, and is therefore able to be delivered in a slightly shorter timeframe.
Note: This course is compliant with sections of NFPA 1670 standards, but does not meet or exceed them. To meet these standards, take a look at our Technical Rope Rescue – Operator course.
2 ½ days (20 hours)
1 afternoon or evening (4 hours) in classroom, 2 days in the field
Minimum 10. Maximum 12.
- 18+ years of age
- In good physical condition
Repeat the entire course at a 15% discount every three years
- Annual Training Maintenance
- Required Equipment
- Class III full-body harness (or separate chest and sit harnesses)*
- Climbing helmet*
- Sturdy boots (hiking boots are fine)
- Pants made of durable material
- Gloves with leather palms (work gloves are fine)
* Rental equipment available.
- Takeaways & Documentation
- Rope field guide
- Personalized skill sheet (training record) signed by the instructor (valuable document for risk management)
- Registration of training record in Raven Rescue’s database
- Certificate of Completion
Road Side Rescue Course Outline
- Registration; rope rescue safety and training; the philosophy of rescue
- Safety associated with low angle, road side rescue operations
- Rope rescue problems and systems applications
- Equipment-current, specialized, new, and experimental
- Ropes, knots, technical gear
- Introduction to rope systems and anchors
- Low angle rescues – scene assessment, incident command, traffic management
- Apparatus/resource deployment
- Mechanical advantage systems
- Assisting ambulatory patients
- Ascending and descending rope in low angle environment
- Patient packaging and litter attending
- Litter evacuation systems with attendants
- Practice: steep angle rescues – scene assessment, incident command, traffic management
- Tripods and “A” frames
- Rappelling in a mixed environment (low and steep angle)
- Mixed terrain scenario (low and steep angle), raising and lowering of litter and attendants
- General review and testing of skills
We only offer this as a private course
Our private training courses ensure personalized hands-on training through human-based scenariosPrivate Courses
If you have a group that would like to review their training together, the training maintenance program may be right for you.
Your group pays the instructor’s daily teaching fee and travel costs associated with bringing the instructor to your training location, along with an annual fee to be part of the maintenance program. This is generally a pretty reasonable approach for training departments because:
- it allows us to deliver the training in small chunks every year, rather than in one big chunk every three years
- it gives department members more annual hands-on time with their skills
- new members can integrate into maintenance programs by jumping on an open course from our public schedule
We track your members, and their status on course content completion within a three year cycle, which mirrors a traditional three year recertification cycle. It’s an excellent value for the cost, and allows you to review your skills in your own backyard.
The training maintenance program replaces the need to recertifiy your training on a traditional three year recertification cycle.
Sorry – there’s no individual audit program available for this course.