Rescue For River Runners
No public dates available
Consider a private booking
The focus of this 2-day Rescue For River Runners course is on the necessary knowledge and skills for all paddlers and those who want to work as junior guides.
It is tailored to the specific needs of those working or playing on and around moving water. This very hands-on and practical course is great for those who want to feel more confident while around swiftwater – more confidence = more fun!
Note: This course is not NFPA compliant nor will it meet the needs of professional groups such as fire or field services.
Rescue For River Runners Course Details
Minimum 10. Maximum 12.
- 18+ years of age (16-17 with parental permission)
- Basic swimming ability
- In good physical condition
- Be involved in the process of learning to kayak, raft, river board or canoe
Repeat the entire course at a 15% discount every three years
- Annual Training Maintenance
Click here to read about the options available for annual guided practice
- Required Equipment
- Drysuit or wetsuit*
- Personal flotation device (Type III or V)*
- Water-sports helmet*
- Neoprene gloves (optional)
- Neoprene footwear with a good walking sole, wading boots, or running shoes
- Layers of wool or fleece clothing for under the drysuit/wetsuit including sweater, pants, gloves, socks
- The boat you regularly paddle in
* Rental equipment available
- Takeaways & Documentation
- Rescue 3’s River Rescue manual, including a guiding skills checklist and guiding log.
- Personalized skill sheet signed by the instructor
- Registration of training record in Rescue 3’s international database
- Certificate of completion
Rescue For River Runners Course Outline
- A review of key concepts
- Site safety assessment
- Basic river signals
- Throw bagging
- Shallow water crossings
- Swimming skills
- Hazard avoidance
- Basic foot and body entrapment rescue techniques
- Combat and rescue swimming
- Rope work
- Review of key concepts
- Site safety assessment
- Rope work for wraps, pins, and flips
- Recovery of drifting/personless boat into a shore or safe eddy
- Self rescue skills, including swimming a boat to shore
- Rescue of a distressed swimmer
- Pinned and wrapped boat boat recovery techniques
- Technical problem (swiftwater rescue scenario)
We also offer this as a private course
Our private training courses ensure personalized hands-on training through human-based scenariosPrivate Courses
If you have a group that would like to review their training together, the training maintenance program may be right for you.
Your group pays the instructor’s daily teaching fee and travel costs associated with bringing the instructor to your training location, along with an annual fee to be part of the maintenance program. This is generally a pretty reasonable approach for training departments because:
- it allows us to deliver the training in small chunks every year, rather than in one big chunk every three years
- it gives department members more annual hands-on time with their skills
- new members can integrate into maintenance programs by jumping on an open course from our public schedule
We track your members, and their status on course content completion within a three year cycle, which mirrors a traditional three year recertification cycle. It’s an excellent value for the cost, and allows you to review your skills in your own backyard.
The training maintenance program replaces the need to recertifiy your training on a traditional three year recertification cycle.
This is an option to audit, or participate in a course for which you already hold a current certification – at no charge.
Take a look at our upcoming course schedule online and find a course location and time that works for you. Email or call us to sign up as an audit. Show up and take the course. It’s that simple.
Free audits do not extend your certification period in any way, but this is a great way to re-fresh your skills on a regular basis, in a safe, controlled environment with a qualified, insured instructor.