Non-Motorized Swiftwater Boat Operator
No public dates available
Consider a private booking
Non-motorized rescue boat operator training for swiftwater delivers hands-on training course for industry personnel or emergency responders who utilize rapid deployment craft (or other non-motorized watercraft like inflatable kayaks/rafts).
Our comprehensive curriculum starts with pre-trip safety checks and hazard identification, and proceeds through boat handling skills, boat-based rescue techniques, and finally how to deal with flips, wraps and pins.
Limited classroom time and a low student to instructor ratio makes for lots of hands-on practice time for each participant.
Please note: Clients must provide their own watercraft.
Option 1: 1/2 day classroom & 1 1/2 days on the water
Option 2: 1/2 day classroom & 2 1/2 days on the water
Minimum 4. Maximum 6.
Option 1: $699
Option 2: $899
- Annual Training Maintenance
- Required Equipment
- Personal flotation device (Type III or V)*
- Water-sports helmet*
* Rentals included in course fee
- Takeaways & Documentation
- Personalized skill sheet signed by the instructor
- Wallet card with expiry date
- Certificate of completion
Non-Motorized Swiftwater Rescue Boat Operator Course Content
- Rescue 3 Philosophy
- Basic hydrology (movement of water)*
- Personal and team equipment
- Boat-based safety equipment
- Introduction to ropes, knots and specialized gear
- Dryland rope work
- Boat maintenance and trouble-shooting
- Boat inspection
- Pre-trip safety checklist
- Self rescue swimming skills
- Hazard avoidance
- Eddying in & out, ferrying, running rapids etc.
- Man overboard
- Optional: night operations session (after dark)
- Flipping and righting
- Wraps and pins
- Rescue scenarios
- Written examination
Click here for more details including what to expect and how to prepare
We only offer this as a private course
Our private training courses ensure personalized hands-on training through human-based scenariosPrivate Courses
If you have a group that would like to review their training together, the training maintenance program may be right for you.
Your group pays the instructor’s daily teaching fee and travel costs associated with bringing the instructor to your training location, along with an annual fee to be part of the maintenance program. This is generally a pretty reasonable approach for training departments because:
- it allows us to deliver the training in small chunks every year, rather than in one big chunk every three years
- it gives department members more annual hands-on time with their skills
- new members can integrate into maintenance programs by jumping on an open course from our public schedule
We track your members, and their status on course content completion within a three year cycle, which mirrors a traditional three year recertification cycle. It’s an excellent value for the cost, and allows you to review your skills in your own backyard.
The training maintenance program replaces the need to recertifiy your training on a traditional three year recertification cycle.
Sorry – there’s no individual audit program available for this course