Motorized Swiftwater Boat Operator
No public dates available
Consider a private booking
Motorized Swiftwater Rescue Boat Operator delivers comprehensive, hands-on training for boat operators working on moving water including rivers and flood waters. The curriculum can be easily tailored to any type of motorized watercraft, ranging from inboard, outboards, prop and jet, as well as PWCs.
According to the Lifesaving Society, powerboating is the second highest cause of preventable water-related drownings. This comprehensive course will develop the sense of confidence and necessary skills to operate a boat at various speeds in moving water, and to avoid becoming a statistic.
The curriculum includes pre-trip safety checks, identification of hazards, basic hydrology, watercraft handling, man-overboard, boat-based victim rescue, dealing with flips, wraps and pins, and general on-water safety.
Limited classroom time and a low student to instructor ratio makes for lots of hands-on practice time for each participant.
Please note: Clients must provide their own watercraft.
Motorized Swiftwater Boat Operator Course Details
½ day classroom, 2 ½ days on the water
(+ optional night session)
Minimum 4. Maximum 6.
Repeat the entire course at a 15% discount every three years
- Annual Training Maintenance
- Required Equipment
- Personal flotation device (Type III or V)*
- Water-sports helmet*
* Rentals included in course fee
- Takeaways & Documentation
- Personalized skill sheet signed by the instructor
- Wallet card with expiry date
- Certificate of completion
Motorized Swiftwater Boat Operator Course Content
- Rescue 3 Philosophy
- Basic hydrology (movement of water)*
- Personal and team equipment
- Boat-based safety equipment
- Introduction to ropes, knots and specialized gear
- Dryland rope work
- Boat maintenance and trouble-shooting
- Boat inspection
- Pre-trip safety checklist
- Self rescue swimming skills*
- Hazard avoidance
- Boat handling, figure 8s, maintaining a position
- Eddying in & out, ferrying, running rapids etc.
- Maneuvering with the engine cut
- Man overboard
- Optional: night operations session (after dark)
- Swamping, capsizing
- Flipping and righting
- Wraps and pins
- Rescue scenarios
- Written examination
We only offer this as a private course
Our private training courses ensure personalized hands-on training through human-based scenariosPrivate Courses
If you have a group that would like to review their training together, the training maintenance program may be right for you.
Your group pays the instructor’s daily teaching fee and travel costs associated with bringing the instructor to your training location, along with an annual fee to be part of the maintenance program. This is generally a pretty reasonable approach for training departments because:
- it allows us to deliver the training in small chunks every year, rather than in one big chunk every three years
- it gives department members more annual hands-on time with their skills
- new members can integrate into maintenance programs by jumping on an open course from our public schedule
We track your members, and their status on course content completion within a three year cycle, which mirrors a traditional three year recertification cycle. It’s an excellent value for the cost, and allows you to review your skills in your own backyard.
The training maintenance program replaces the need to recertifiy your training on a traditional three year recertification cycle.
Sorry – there’s no individual audit program available for this course.