Motorized Flatwater Rescue Boat Operator
Motorized Flatwater Rescue Boat Operator prepares emergency responders to operate any type of motorized watercraft on non-moving or flatwater in lakes, reservoirs, estuaries or tidal zones.
According to the Lifesaving Society, powerboating is the second highest cause of preventable water-related drownings. This course will develop the sense of confidence and necessary skills to operate watercraft at speed in flatwater in lakes, resevoirs, estuaries and tidal zones, and to avoid becoming a statistic.
The curriculum includes pre-trip safety checks, identification of hazards, basic and more advanced boat handling, man-overboard, boat-based victim rescue, and general on-water safety.
We can tailor the course to any type of motorized watercraft (jet or propellor driven, or PWC). A low student to instructor ratio makes for lots of hands-on practice time for each participant.
Please note: Clients must provide their own watercraft.
Motorized Flatwater Rescue Boat Operator Course Details
½ day classroom, 1 ½ days on the water
Minimum 4. Maximum 6.
- 18+ years of age
- Basic swimming ability
- In good physical condition
- Annual Training Maintenance
- Required Equipment
- Personal flotation device (Type III or V)*
- Water-sports helmet*
*Rentals included in course fee
- Takeaways & Documentation
- Personalized skill sheet signed by the instructor
- Certificate of completion
Motorized Flatwater Rescue Boat Operator Course Outline
- Waves and currents
- Personal and team equipment
- Boat-based safety equipment
- Introduction to ropes, knots and specialized gear
- Dryland rope work
- Boat maintenance and trouble-shooting
- Boat inspection
- Pre-trip safety checklis
- Self rescue techniques
- Hazard avoidance
- Boat handling, figure 8s
- Maneuvering without power
- Person overboard drill
- Safe Boating Rules and Regulations
- Boat Types and Handling Considerations
- Boat Rigging Strategies
- Trailering Safety
- Launching and Loading
- Float Plans
- Swamping, capsizing
- Rescue scenario
We only offer this as a private course
Our courses ensure personalized hands-on training through human-based scenariosPrivate Courses
If you have a group that would like to review their training together, the training maintenance program may be right for you.
Your group pays the instructor’s daily teaching fee and travel costs associated with bringing the instructor to your training location, along with an annual fee to be part of the maintenance program. This is generally a pretty reasonable approach for training departments because:
- it allows us to deliver the training in small chunks every year, rather than in one big chunk every three years
- it gives department members more annual hands-on time with their skills
- new members can integrate into maintenance programs by jumping on an open course from our public schedule
We track your members, and their status on course content completion within a three year cycle, which mirrors a traditional three year recertification cycle. It’s an excellent value for the cost, and allows you to review your skills in your own backyard.
The training maintenance program replaces the need to recertifiy your training on a traditional three year recertification cycle.
Sorry – there’s no individual audit program available for this course.