Management Of Water & Flood Incidents
No public dates available
Consider a private booking
Management Of Water & Flood Incidents (MWFI) is designed for management and command personnel from emergency response, municipalities, regional districts, and industry who are responsible for coordinating a response to major water rescue and flood incidents.
The course provides the underlying knowledge and skills to successfully manage single or multi-agency operations within a jurisdiction’s existing emergency response framework.
Designed to bridge the gap between the emergency planning process and the actual on-scene response, this course provides a combination of operational skills and knowledge that most other training does not address. Participants will learn practical, operational skills that they will draw upon continually before, during and after major incidents.
This course also includes an on-river session to teach the practical, self-rescue skills required in a moving water environment. This ensures that managers and commanders have the ability to operate in the “warm-zone” (on shore) in a safe, effective and efficient manner while they are on-scene. The course fee includes all the necessary gear for this session.
MWFI Course Details
5 days (48 hours)
4 days in the classroom, one day on the river
Minimum 6. Maximum 12.
- Annual Training Maintenance
Click here to read about the options available for annual guided practice
- Required Equipment
The following PPE will be provided at no charge:
- PFD (Type III or V)
Participants must provide:
- Footwear (neoprene boots or running shoes)
- Thermal top, pants and socks
- Neoprene gloves (optional)
Nice to have:
- Headlamp or waterproof flashlight
- Takeaways & Documentation
- Personalized Rescue 3 International skill sheet signed by the instructor
- Course texts
- Certificate of completion
MWFI Course Topics
- Principles of water safety & rescue
- River & flood search considerations and management
- Water rescue tactics – use of the TEMPO model
- Water rescue scene size-up and safety controls
- Shallow water crossings
- Searching water & floods
A Note On Training
The MWFI course combines both theory and practical elements. The course is not designed to create technical rescuers but rather to develop the specific skills and knowledge to manage rescue personnel in a safe and effective manner in a moving water and/or flood environment. Usually, this occurs from a shore-based position in the “cold zone” (more than 3 m from the water’s edge).
We only offer this as a private course
Our private training courses ensure personalized hands-on training through human-based scenariosPrivate Courses
If you have a group that would like to review their training together, the training maintenance program may be right for you.
Your group pays the instructor’s daily teaching fee and travel costs associated with bringing the instructor to your training location, along with an annual fee to be part of the maintenance program. This is generally a pretty reasonable approach for training departments because:
- it allows us to deliver the training in small chunks every year, rather than in one big chunk every three years
- it gives department members more annual hands-on time with their skills
- new members can integrate into maintenance programs by jumping on an open course from our public schedule
We track your members, and their status on course content completion within a three year cycle, which mirrors a traditional three year recertification cycle. It’s an excellent value for the cost, and allows you to review your skills in your own backyard.
The training maintenance program replaces the need to recertifiy your training on a traditional three year recertification cycle.
Sorry – there’s no individual audit program available for this course.