Ice Rescue Technician Advanced
This single day Ice Rescue Technician Advanced (IRTA) upgrade can be added as a third day onto our two-day IRT course to address the substantially higher-risk environment encountered when working on large volume rivers with open leads.
The day covers size up, risk analysis, and hazard mitigation, PPE considerations, self-rescue techniques, and throw bagging. It also addresses the use of the RDC (boat based rescue techniques), off-ice mantle rescues, and containment considerations. Scenario-based training using both standard and improvised ice rescue equipment will be carried out.
This course meets and exceeds the standard-of-care for personnel who work or travel on surface ice.
Pre-requisites include current Ice Rescue Technician (IRT) AND Swiftwater Rescue Technician (SRT 1) certifications.
Ice Rescue Technician Advanced Details
1 day (can be added onto a 2-day IRT course, or as a stand-alone if you have the prerequisite IRT and SRT1 certifications)
1 day on the ice
Minimum 8. Maximum 8.
Repeat the entire course at a 15% discount every three years
- Annual Training Maintenance
- Required Equipment
- Drysuit, survival suit, or thick (5mm+) wetsuit*
- Personal Flotation Device (Type III or V)*
- Water-sport helmet*
* Rental equipment available
- Takeaways & Documentation
- Surface Ice Safety & Rescue Field Guide
- Personalized skill sheet signed by the instructor
- Registration in Rescue 3 International’s database
- Certificate of completion
IRTA Course Outline
One ice (over large volume river with open leads)
- Site assessment
- Hazard identification
- PPE considerations
- Self rescue in moving water
- Victim rescue from moving water
- Improvised and specialized rescue gear
- Rescue scenario
- Swiftwater/Ice Rescue Containment Techniques and Safety Strategies
- Swiftwater/Ice self rescue techniques
- Off Mantle Boat Based Rescue Techniques (how to effectively get on and off the ice mantle while using a non motorized boat.
- Off Mantle Non Motorized Boat Based Pick Ups
- Ice Rescue Team Leadership
- Medical Considerations
- Swiftwater/Ice Throw Rope Techniques
- Contact Rescue Techniques
Click here for more details including what to expect and how to prepare
We only offer this as a private course
Our private training courses ensure personalized hands-on training through human-based scenariosPrivate Courses
If you have a group that would like to review their training together, the training maintenance program may be right for you.
Your group pays the instructor’s daily teaching fee and travel costs associated with bringing the instructor to your training location, along with an annual fee to be part of the maintenance program. This is generally a pretty reasonable approach for training departments because:
- it allows us to deliver the training in small chunks every year, rather than in one big chunk every three years
- it gives department members more annual hands-on time with their skills
- new members can integrate into maintenance programs by jumping on an open course from our public schedule
We track your members, and their status on course content completion within a three year cycle, which mirrors a traditional three year recertification cycle. It’s an excellent value for the cost, and allows you to review your skills in your own backyard.
The training maintenance program replaces the need to recertifiy your training on a traditional three year recertification cycle.
Sorry – there’s no individual audit program available for this course.