Flatwater Safety & Rescue
No public dates available
Consider a private booking
This 1-day Flatwater Safety & Rescue course is designed for natural resource and industrial field personnel who work near, in or on non-moving water including lakes and ponds, or very slow moving water including flood or tidal waters.
The course identifies the hazards that are associated with flat water, and details the safe work procedures and equipment that can be used to reduce the risks.
Participants learn self rescue skills, and shore-based rescue “reach” and “throw” techniques for the rescue of others, using both standard and improvised rescue equipment. The curriculum also covers low risk wading and swimming rescue techniques.
Note: If you work around moving water, consider our Safe Work In Swiftwater course.
Flatwater Safety & Rescue Course Details
1 day (8 hours)
2 hours classroom, 6 hours on non-moving water
Minimum 10. Maximum 15.
- 18+ years of age
- Basic swimming ability
- In good physical condition
Repeat the entire course at a 15% discount every three years
- Annual Training Maintenance
Click here to read about the options available for annual guided practice
- Required Equipment
- Drysuit or wetsuit*
- Personal flotation device (PFD: Type III or V)*
- Water-rescue helmet*
- Neoprene gloves (optional)
- Neoprene footwear with a good walking sole, wading boots, or running shoes
- Layers of wool or fleece clothing for under the drysuit/wetsuit including sweater, pants, gloves, socks
*Rental equipment available
Click here for more details on what to expect and how to prepare
Flatwater Safety & Rescue Course Outline
- Philosophy of flatwater safety & rescue
- Personal safety
- Flatwater dynamics & hazards (including flood water)
- Search considerations
- Personal & team equipment
- Site assessment
- On-scene safety & site control
- Throw bags and “reach, throw” rescues
- Survival swim
- Swimming rescues and towing
- Basic boat-based rescue concerns and techniques
Takeaways & Documentation
- Personalized skill sheet signed by the instructor
- Registration of training record in Raven database
- Certificate of completion
We only offer this as a private course
Our private training courses ensure personalized hands-on training through human-based scenarios
If you have a group that would like to review their training together, the training maintenance program may be right for you.
Your group pays the instructor’s daily teaching fee and travel costs associated with bringing the instructor to your training location, along with an annual fee to be part of the maintenance program. This is generally a pretty reasonable approach for training departments because:
- it allows us to deliver the training in small chunks every year, rather than in one big chunk every three years
- it gives department members more annual hands-on time with their skills
- new members can integrate into maintenance programs by jumping on an open course from our public schedule
We track your members, and their status on course content completion within a three year cycle, which mirrors a traditional three year recertification cycle. It’s an excellent value for the cost, and allows you to review your skills in your own backyard.
The training maintenance program replaces the need to recertifiy your training on a traditional three year recertification cycle.
Sorry – there’s no individual audit program available for this course.