BC SAR Rope Rescue Technician 1
No public dates available
Consider a private booking
This course has been designed for BC Search and Rescue Volunteers and follows the curriculum and learning outcomes as established by Emergency Management BC.
The curriculum includes competencies as presented in the Provincial Operating Guidelines (POGs) 3.02a BC SAR Wildland Rope Rescue Competency Matrix, SAR Rope Principles and Guidelines.
BC SAR Rope Rescue Technician 1 Course Details
3 days (24 hours, including pre-course study guide)
Classroom and field
Minimum 6. Maximum 6.
- Rope Rescue Awareness online course through JIBC
- Pre-reading and online quiz
- Member of authorized BC SAR rope rescue team
Repeat the entire course at a 15% discount every three years
- Annual Training Maintenance
Click here to read about the options available for annual guided practice
- Required Equipment
- Full body harness (Type III or V)*
- Climbing or rescue helmet*
- Sturdy boots (tactical boots or hiking boots are fine, steel toes not required)
- Pants made of durable material
- Gloves with leather palms (work gloves are fine)
*Rental included in course fee
- Takeaways & Documentation
- EMBC Wildland Rope Rescue Manual
- EMBC Wildland Rope Rescue Field Guide
- Student practice sheets
BC SAR Rope Rescue Technician 1 Course Content
- Rope rescue physics
- Knots bends and hitches
- Anchor systems
- Command and communications
- Dual capability two tensioned rope systems
- Lowering operations
- Raising operations
- Conversions: lower to raise and raise to lower
- Edge Management
- Stretcher Rigging
- Patient Packaging
- Slope rescue
We also offer this as a private course
Our private training courses ensure personalized hands-on training through human-based scenariosPrivate Courses
If you have a group that would like to review their training together, the training maintenance program may be right for you.
Your group pays the instructor’s daily teaching fee and travel costs associated with bringing the instructor to your training location, along with an annual fee to be part of the maintenance program. This is generally a pretty reasonable approach for training departments because:
- it allows us to deliver the training in small chunks every year, rather than in one big chunk every three years
- it gives department members more annual hands-on time with their skills
- new members can integrate into maintenance programs by jumping on an open course from our public schedule
We track your members, and their status on course content completion within a three year cycle, which mirrors a traditional three year recertification cycle. It’s an excellent value for the cost, and allows you to review your skills in your own backyard.
The training maintenance program replaces the need to recertifiy your training on a traditional three year recertification cycle.
This is an option to audit, or participate in a course for which you already hold a current certification – at no charge.
Take a look at our upcoming course schedule online and find a course location and time that works for you. Email or call us to sign up as an audit. Show up and take the course. It’s that simple.
Free audits do not extend your certification period in any way, but this is a great way to re-fresh your skills on a regular basis, in a safe, controlled environment with a qualified, insured instructor.